728 x 90

Early Morning Fire

img

On Tuesday (Feb. 2) at 7:41 a.m. the Swan River Fire Department (SRFD), Swan River RCMP and Shared
Health EMS responded to a report of a structure fire in the 400 block of 10th Avenue North. 
“Upon arrival the interior of the structure was fully involved with fire venting through openings on both sides and confirmation was received that the occupants had self rescued before emergency services
arrival,” said SRFD Fire Chief Darren Fedorchuk.
“Defensive operations were put into place utilizing multiple hand lines from the exterior. Suppression efforts were extended due to the abundance of wood shavings found within the walls. The department remained in service for approximately five hours. Unfortunately family pets did not survive the fire.”
Fedorchuk added that the department would like to remind residents of the importance of the installation
and testing of smoke detectors within the home. “Should you require more information regarding the installation, testing or requirements for smoke detectors under Town of Swan River Bylaw 1/2016
Rental Unit Dwellings Safety Standard please contact the Swan River Fire Hall at 204·734·4403,” he said.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.